Thursday, June 19, 2014
Wednesday, June 18, 2014
The five-step process for making better decisions:
- Maintain a feeling of control over your situation.
- Emotional preparation. Consider how things could be worse.
- Monitor your breathing.
- Controlled empathy.
- Ask "What advice would I give my best friend in this situation?"
Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
Be an entrepreneur. Change the world.
This is known as “bad luck.”
Sunday, March 2, 2014
- You register a trademark with the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO, http://www.uspto.gov/index.jsp).
- It can take a year or more to get a trademark.
- You can start using TM (trademark) or SM (service mark) immediately to indicate that you consider your mark to be exclusive. You can only use the "circle R" symbol if your trademark is registered.
- You have to specify your service and/or goods to which the trademark applies. Once registered, you can narrow your goods or services (jewelry down to earrings), but you can't widen it (jewelry up to jewelry stores). If you want to widen your goods or services, you have to re-apply and start the process over.
- You can also claim a trademark through "common law" rights. That is, you don't have to register your trademark in order to claim exclusive rights to it. I'm sure it is much easier to defend your trademark if it is registered, though.
- If you are not yet using the trademark in commerce, it costs you extra to file an "Intend to Use" application.
- You can save $100 if you file online and your goods/services can be categorized in their standard classes.
- You'll want to search carefully to make sure that there aren't trademarked items in your general area of commerce that sound the same as your intended trademark. The example they gave was T.Markey and Tee Marquis sound almost the same, so they would not both get a trademark. Whoever could prove they were first would get the trademark.
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
The good news: no one has a trademark on "Dream Walker Solutions". I need to start moving on getting the name trademarked so that it is safely mine to use. Government paperwork, here I come. Another chance to use the skills I learned in college: how to deal with the bureaucracy and win.
Sunday, February 23, 2014
- I have started preparing for my first Lean Six Sigma event. I will lead a team that will merge together two business units' processes for managing requests for computers and software. The two business units were joined together as part of a major reorganization within the company. We will define how they will fund such requests for computers and software, and then how the review and approvals will be managed. The result is expected to cut a week off of the average time it takes to deliver a new computer to someone.
- I updated the Dream Walker Solutions web site, replacing the leadership development section of the Innovation Blueprint with Lean Six Sigma. This ties my current strategy for moving into consulting to the more long term roadmap for offering "Mind to Market" consulting. The Innovation Blueprint now contains these three components:
- Define: Business Model Generation - A great idea and a vision are just the beginning. To bring that idea from mind to market, you need to define a business model. We provide a framework and facilitate the creation of a business model that will work.
- Discover: Lean Startup - The biggest waste of time is building a product or service that no one wants. Lean Startup is an approach for investigating and experimenting with real products and real customers to determine the combination of product and business model that succeeds.
- Deliver: Lean Six Sigma - The way you run your business matters. Once you have a successful product and business model, Lean Six Sigma is a set of tools for removing waste, streamlining your processes, and determining how to deliver the best results.
- The target date for being mortgage and debt free: May 1, 2014.